The Haus of Meg will pay $425,000 in order to settle a claim that it consciously flogged laptops with batteries that could overheat or catch fire. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission slapped the company on the wrist for not issuing a recall quickly enough. It claimed that HP knew about 22 incidents involving battery ‘splosions by September 2007 — including one instance of a user being hospitalized, but didn’t begin issuing a recall until ten months later. By May 2011, the company had recalled over 90,000 affected units that were prone to the odd bout of spontaneous combustion. If you’re concerned you’ve got a duff battery, check out our list here.
Burn baby burn: HP pays out $425,000 to prevent a disco (laptop) inferno